Home › Not-for-Profits »
Madison Historical Society
The purpose of the Madison Historical Society is to assemble, record and preserve all matters of historical interest concerning Madison and its residents.
The Society was formed in 1922 when several public-minded citizens organized to preserve the old Bottle Hill Tavern, formerly located at the southeast corner of Waverly Place and Main Street. There were 50 Charter Members and 15 Life Members who purchased the Tavern and had the structure moved east along Main Street to the present site of its replica (which houses a bank). Over the years the Society has developed an interesting collection of historic documents, maps and photographs. These are housed in the Local History Center at the Madison Public Library.
This collection is the result of gracious gifts from friends and members. New donations to our collection will be welcomed. It is an excellent way to ensure the long-term preservation of items of historical interest. Visit our booth at the Annual Bottle Hill Day celebration in October. You may also wish to join us at our annual Dinner Meeting (typically held in May)