Water Conservation Tips
As per Borough ordinance 1991-1, Madison’s annual voluntary water restrictions are as follows.
§ 191-1. Annual Water Restrictions
A. Voluntary restrictions. During the months of June, July and August of each year, all residents, tenants and businesses of the borough are requested to observe the following voluntary water use restrictions:
(1) Indoor conservation measures.
(2) Outdoor use for lawn and shrub watering, car washing, driveway and sidewalk washing shall be restricted to alternate days, with usage allowed on even-numbered days for those residents or businesses whose dwelling, building or box number are even and on odd-numbered days for those residents or businesses whose dwelling, building or box number are odd. Such water use shall be done only from 12:01 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and from 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight on the allowed days. There should be no such outdoor water usage on the 31st day of July or August. [Amended 8-23-1999 by Ord. No. 27-99]
Indoor Water Conservation Measures
- Using appliances such clothing or dish washers only once a day, and only when they are full
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run while rinsing
- Fill a or a pan or sink with wash water and the other with rinse water
- Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water, and then reuse that water for houseplants
These and other helpful tips may be found online.
Water Conservation Publication
On April 27, 2012, The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) published a release urging New Jersey residents to conserve water. Several months of below average precipitation have resulted in a reduction of the replenishment of area reservoirs and aquifers. Additional suggestions from the state DEP are:
- Do not over-water lawns and landscaping.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing and shaving.
- Use a rain barrel to capture water from a downspout
- Use mulch and native plants to conserve water in the garden.
The full release (PDF) may be read online.