Recycling / Garbage / Yard Waste
Beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, March 25 and continuing for the foreseeable future, our hauler will begin collection as early as 4:00 A.M. Residents are encouraged to place their collection to the curb the night before.
Twice a week curbside pickup, which was scheduled to begin on May 11, will continue as originally scheduled.
Residents are advised that shredded documents are no longer permitted in plastic bags. Shredded documents are to be placed directly in your mixed paper recycling bin for collection by the hauler. As previously advised, paper or commingled recycling, that is placed at the curb in plastic bags will no longer be collected by the Borough contractor.
Borough of Madison residents are advised that effective immediately, paper or commingled recycling, that is placed at the curb in plastic bags will no longer be collected by the Borough contractor. This new requirement was imposed by the disposal recycling facility. Acceptable containers are plastic bins, which cannot exceed 40 pounds and are clearly labeled for the respective recycling (commingled recycling or paper recycling). Stickers are available for pickup at the Department of Public Works on John Avenue or the Clerk’s Office at Hartley Dodge Memorial.
Our hauler will not pick up recyclables in plastic bags. The plastic bags and its contents will be left at the curb. If you have any questions, please call the Department of Public Works at (973) 593-3088.
We thank you for working to keep Madison green! For tips on ‘what goes where’, please see below.
Now available for Madison Residents
Never Miss Another Collection!
With it's easy-to-use calendar you'll be able to find your recycling/garbage/yard waste collection schedules, use it's simple 'What Goes Where?' feature to check and see what is accepted for recycling, and will allow the Borough to push notifications out regarding holiday or weather schedule changes.
Check out the functions below, and download in on your cell phone today!
Paid for by the New Jersey DEP
Ways to Dispose of Your Garbage
There are three options for residents that pertain to garbage
- Regular Curbside Pickup: Twice a week curbside pickup from May 11 to September 12, once a week curbside pick up the rest of the year;
- Traditional Rear Yard Pickup: Residents can contract directly to have their garbage taken from behind or along the side of their home for an annual fee of $150.00;
- Enhanced Rear Yard Pickup: Year round, twice a week pickup from behind or along the side of a residence for an annual fee of $250.00. The pickups will occur on your regular, twice a week schedule.
Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Requirements & Proper Packing
All items should be placed at the curb no earlier than 4:00 P.M. the day before collection. All containers must be removed from curbside prior to 8:00 P.M. on your collection day. If garbage or recyclables are not put out properly, they will not be collected.
- Each container cannot exceed 40 lbs;
- No construction material, TVs, grass, leaves, medical waste or recyclables;
- NO GARBAGE can be put in cardboard boxes - Corrugated cardboard must be recycled
- Cardboard should be flattened and put in a recycling receptacle or tied up