About the Organization
MAASA, the Madison Alliance Addressing Substance Abuse, is a community-based coalition dedicated to preventing and reducing the use and abuse of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. We have a special focus on children and adolescents and it is our goal to promote a drug and alcohol-free environment for them and to encourage responsible use by adults. We invite public input and participation.Established in 1990, MAASA is part of the statewide Alliance initiative of the Governor’s Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse. MAASA is funded by grants from the Governor’s Council and local contributions.MAASA provides a unique grassroots network that connects educators, law enforcement officials, parents, civic and religious groups to help identify and address long-standing and emerging substance abuse issues through our regular meetings, surveys, topic centered workshops, promotion of the "40 Developmental Assets" framework for nurturing children, "Parent Connection" groups, resources at the Madison Library.
Agendas & Minutes
What We Do: Prevention for all ages
Prevention of smoking, drinking and drug use works best when it begins in early childhood and continues throughout adolescence and adulthood. The programs MAASA supports are tailored to address the needs of different populations and age groups:
- Children: MAASA sponsored programs reach preschool children and continue throughout the elementary years.
- Adolescents: MAASA supports alternative activities for Madison youth, as well as offering educational programs and literature.
- Parents: Parents are offered continuing education in developmental assets, current issues, communication skills and prevention strategies.
- Seniors: MAASA programs stress the importance of taking medicines wisely and provide information on senior citizens’ services and abuse prevention programs.
MAASA works with the following groups:
- The Madison Board of Education
- The Madison Public Schools’ PTOs
- Madison Police Department
- Project Community Pride
- The Madison Community Pool
- The Madison Area YMCA
- Writers Theatre Youth Programs
- Urban League of Morris County Life Skills Programs
- The Graduation Gala Committee
- Drew University
- The Madison Health Department
- Madison Senior Center
- The Madison Library
View the MAASA Bylaws here.