Home › Not-for-Profits »
Daughters of the American Revolution
Parsippany, NJ 07054 (map)
The Loantaka-Parsippanong Chapter is the result of the merger of two DAR chapters, namely the Parsippanong and the Loantaka, in 1992.
The Parsippanong Chapter was organized in the Parsippany-Troy Hills area on October 4, 1912, with Ruth E. Tichenor Fairchild (Mrs. Vandyke), Organizing Regent.
The Loantaka Chapter, which covered the areas of Chatham, Florham Park and Madison, New Jersey, was organized in 1927, with Jane Wilson Graham Ridley (Mrs. Joseph) as Organizing Regent. The Chapter was named for the original native Americans who lived in the vicinity, and also for the name of General George Washington's Camp at Madison during the revolutionary War.
Reflecting the abundant waters in the area, both names are native American names, one meaning "creek' and the other, "place of two rivers."
Past achievements of the Loantaka Chapter include their support of efforts to make Jockey Hollow a national memorial park, and participation in the celebration of the National Parks bicentennial in 1972.
The Parsippanong Chapter sponsored Memorial Day Services at the Parsippany Presbyterian Church Cemetery where there are 84 Revolutionary War graves.