Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
The Zoning Board of Adjustment holds monthly meetings, on the second Thursday of the month, at 7:30 PM, Hartley Dodge Memorial, 50 Kings Road, Madison. Notice of all meetings is given to the public in accordance with the requirements of the "Open Public Meetings Act" (Sunshine Law) and the Municipal Land Use Law. All meetings are open to the general public in accordance with the requirements of the "Open Public Meetings Act".
The Zoning Board of Adjustment functions under the authority of the Municipal Land Use Law of New Jersey. It is authorized to:
- Hear and decide appeals from decisions by the Zoning Officer or the Deputy Zoning Officer
- Hear and decide interpretations of the Zoning Map or Zoning Ordinance
- Grant variances as follows:
"C" type variances:
1. "C"(1) hardship because of exceptional narrowness, shallowness, shape or topographic conditions of property
2. "C"(2) benefits outweigh the detriments to the community
"D" type variances:
1. Use or principal structure in district restricted against such use or principal structure
2. Expansion of nonconforming use
3. Violation of Conditional Use requirement
4. Violation of density (Floor Area Ratio)
5. Height of principal structure exceeds by 10 or 10% the maximum permitted height
Ancillary Powers, only when granting "D" variances:
1. Site Plan Approval
2. Subdivision Approval
Once a year the Zoning Board of Adjustment reviews its decisions and prepares and adopts by resolution a report of its findings on zoning ordinance provisions to the Borough Council and the Planning Board.
Copies of the Madison Land Use Ordinance and zoning maps may be purchased in the Borough Clerk's office in the Hartley Dodge Memorial. Development applications are available in the Planning and Zoning office of the Hartley Dodge Memorial.