Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Recycling/Garbage/Yard Waste Department
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
Regular Yard Waste Curbside Collection Guidelines - Late March until Mid December.
- Please refer to the annual recycling newsletter for dates and other information.
- Place in containers no larger than 30 gallons, or biodegradeable paper bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS!
- Limited to grass, weeds, leaves, hedge trimmings & tree prunings.
- Containers should have handles, not exceed 80 lbs, and materials cannot stick out more than 1 foot from the top of the container.
- Twigs and branches up to two inches in diameter, may be tied in 4 foot bundles, or put in reusable containers.
- Logs more than two inches in diameter must be cut to a maximum of three feet in length, and will be collected with the garbage.
- If a Holiday occurs on your collection day, pickup will occur on Thursday of that week.
Yard Waste - During Non-curbside Collection Period
DPW will have two special drop off days for yardwaste, including Christmas trees. One day in January and a second in February. Materials are to be brought to the Borough Garage Recycling Center on John Avenue between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please call 973-593-3088 for dates and other details.
Fall Leaf Collection: Message from the Borough of Madison Department of Public Works
The town offers three ways for residents to dispose of their leaves:
Leave containers at the Curb: Weekly curbside collection of yard waste in containers will start late March and continue until mid December. We encourage using containers for leaf collection as it is efficient, environmentally friendly and the best option for storm water management. Free leaf bags are available at various municipal offices for Madison residents.
Bring to Municipal Garage: Residents can bring leaves to the municipal garage on weekdays from October to December between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Note, this is weekdays only and no commercial dumping is allowed.
Rake to Curb: Collection will start in late October and weather permitting will continue until early December. **Please get your leaves to the curb as soon as possible. November 30 is the last day to put out your leaves.**
In order to make curbside collection of leaves more efficient, place the leaves in the street. This allows our workforce to use front-end loaders for pickup when leaves are wet. Please call the Department of Public Works at 973-593-3088 if you require any additional information.