Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Recycling/Garbage/Yard Waste Department
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
Regular Yard Waste Curbside Collection Guidelines - March 12 to December 19
- Place in containers no larger than 30 gallons, or biodegradeable paper bags. NO PLASTIC BAGS!
- Limited to grass, weeds, leaves, hedge trimmings & tree prunings.
- Containers should have handles, not exceed 80 lbs, and materials cannot stick out more than 1 foot from the top of the container.
- Twigs and branches up to two inches in diameter, may be tied in 4 foot bundles, or put in reusable containers.
- Logs more than two inches in diameter must be cut to a maximum of three feet in length, and will be collected with the garbage.
- If a Holiday occurs on your collection day, pickup will occur on Thursday of that week.
Yard Waste - During Non-curbside Collection Period
Yardwaste, including Christmas trees, may be brought to the Borough Garage Recycling Center on John Avenue on Saturday, January 7, 2012 and Saturday, February 18, 2012, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Fall 2012 Leaf Collection: Message from the Borough of Madison Department of Public Works
The town offers three ways for residents to dispose of their leaves:
Leave containers at the Curb: Weekly curbside collection of yard waste in containers will start March 12, 2012 and continue until December 19, 2012. We encourage using containers for leaf collection as it is efficient, environmentally friendly and the best option for storm water management. Free leaf bags are available at various municipal offices for Madison residents.
Bring to Municipal Garage: Residents can bring leaves to the municipal garage on weekdays from October 22, 2012 to December 7, 2012, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Note, this is weekdays only and no commercial dumping is allowed.
Rake to Curb: Collection will start on October 22, 2012 and weather permitting will continue until early December 2012. **Please get your leaves to the curb as soon as possible. November 30, 2012 is the last day to put out your leaves.**
In order to make curbside collection of leaves more efficient, place the leaves in the street. This allows our workforce to use front-end loaders for pickup when leaves are wet. Please call the Department of Public Works at 973-593-3088 if you require any additional information.
A tub grinder was brought in on November 23rd to help grind up storm debris. Pictured above is Michael Giordano loading up the grinder. With the exception of isolated pockets, all storm debris has been removed from the streets. As of December 2, 2011, the Borough will be reverting back to the regular curbside yard waste guidelines, which are outlined below.
We would like to thank all the residents, as well as our DPW Staff for their help and support in clearing the debris.