Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
Firearms Application Information
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF FIREARMS APPLICATIONS FOR ID CARDS AND PERMITS TO PURCHASE, THE PROCESSING WILL TAKE AT LEAST 2 MONTHS.
Listed are some general rules and information in reference to obtaining Firearm’s ID Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns in the Borough of Madison. The use of a firearm in the State of New Jersey is controlled by statues which you should be aware of. Please go to the New Jersey State Police website – www.njsp.org for more detailed explanations.
Please come to the Madison Police Department to pick up the application/forms that are necessary to fill out for your firearms, do not use the forms off the njsp site. If you do not have a firearm's ID card you will pick up Packet #1, if you already have an ID card you will pick up Packet #2. These packets are located outside of the Record's Department window of the Madison Police Department which is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Firearm – a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder. (Exceptions – Paintball gun)
- Handgun – any pistol, revolver or other firearm originally designed or manufactured to be fired by the use of a single hand; a revolver or pistol.
Firearm’s Identification Card
Required to purchase long-arms, (shotguns or rifles including Black Powder, BB or Pellet).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- First time applicant must be fingerprinted.
Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Must be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Required to purchase handguns.
- Must be a New Jersey resident to apply.
- May purchase handguns from any private citizen or licensed gun shop in New Jersey.
- Not eligible to purchase or receive a handgun from another state unless it goes through a licensed firearms dealer in the State of New Jersey.
- Permits are valid for 90 days from date of issue. The permit may be extended an additional 90 days if authorized by the Chief of Police.
Firearms Permit and Identification Card Fees
Firearms ID Card & Permit to Purchase (fingerprinting mandatory)
$56.50 – Fingerprinting to be processed at MorphoTrust, Parsippany, NJ.
$5.00 cash for Identification Card and $2.00 each Permit to Purchase or check payable to Borough of Madison. If paying by cash it must be the exact amount.
Permit to Purchase (criminal history check mandatory)*
$20.oo paid on the NJSP website. Instructions will be in packet #2 when you pick it up.
$2.00 cash or check payable to Borough of Madison for each Permit to Purchase you are requesting.
*If you have been previously issued a handgun purchase permit by the Madison Police Department or another police department in New Jersey, can provide satisfactory proof of identify AND have a valid SBI number, you do not need to be fingerprinted again. However, you must have a NJ State Police Name Check which is done through their website, instructions are included in Packet #2. More detailed information is available at the New Jersey State website listed below:
Please feel free to contact Connie Phillips, Madison Police Department Records at 973-593-3015 for any additional questions you may have.