Borough Government Announcements
The Madison Public Library will be closed Monday, October 5 through Friday, October 9. All Chase Auditorium activities including the Drew Minicourses will be held as scheduled. Library patrons may pick up holds in the Chase Auditorium 4 - 7 pm. We anticipate opening Saturday, October 10, but check the website (madisonnjlibrary.org) for up to date information.
A private fund raiser to replace the black top walkway with pavers at James Park is being undertaken to recognize the service of those who served in the military. Please complete an application found on the Borough Clerk's page and submit along with a check for $75.00 payable to 'Walk with Us'. Any questions, please contact Elizabeth Osborne, Borough Clerk at 973-593-3041.
Madison Fire Department is offering free smoke alarm installations thanks to the Red Cross Home Fire Campaign. The Madison Fire Department encourages all residents who may qualify for the program to contact them at 973-593-3021 and speak with an on-duty firefighter. Link to article: https://www.tapinto.net/towns/madison/sections/police-and-fire/articles/madison-fire-department-offering-free-smoke-alarm
Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Link to article: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/fire-and-safety-equipment/carbon-monoxide
Kidde has received 11 reports of the recalled fire extinguishers failing to discharge as expected. Manufacture dates included in the recall are July 23, 2013 through October 15, 2014. Consumers should immediately contact Kidde for a replacement fire extinguisher. Link to article: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Kidde-Recalls-Disposable-Plastic-Fire-Extinguishers/#remedy
The recycling newsletter for 2015 is now available in electronic form: http://www.rosenet.org/uploads/958/2015newsletter_final.pdf Hard copies will be mailed out to residents before the end of the year. NEW: Madison now recycles paper cartons! Milk and beverage cartons can now be recycled with your paper, cardboard, and junk mail.
Kidde recalls smoke and combination alarms due to alarm failure. The alarms could fail to alert consumers of a fire or a CO incident following a power outage. Consumers should immediately contact Kidde for a free replacement smoke or combination smoke/CO alarm. Consumers should keep using the recalled alarms until they install replacement alarms. Link to article: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Kidde-Recalls-Smoke-and-Combination-SmokeCO-Alarms/
Gree expands dehumidifier recall to include GE Brand dehumidifiers due to serious fire and burn hazards. The dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the dehumidifiers and contact Gree to receive a refund. Link to article: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Gree-Expands-Dehumidifier-Recall-to-Include-GE-Brand-Dehumidifiers/
Gree recalls 12 brands of dehumidifiers due to serious fire and burn hazards. The dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the dehumidifiers and contact Gree to receive a refund. Link to article: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Gree-Recalls-12-Brands-of-Dehumidifiers/
The Madison Health Department would like to remind residents with dogs to be mindful of their neighbors and ensure their dog isn't chronically howling, barking, and/or disturbing the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. Ordinance 15-2005 § 59-12. Howling or barking dogs. No person shall keep within the Borough any dog causing a nuisance and disturbing the peace and quiet of the neighborhood in which it shall be kept by chronically howling, barking and/or making and causing other sounds or noises.