Home › Agencies ›Departments »
62 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
No Experience of Training needed.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Madison Fire Department as a volunteer firefighter. The Madison Fire Department is a "combination" fire department, utilizing both paid and volunteer firefighters. Because of the combination department, Madison benefits by the immediate response of paid personnel, complimented by volunteer manpower which responds directly to the scene with their own personal protective gear. The department responds out of one firehouse, located on Prospect Street. The department operates two pumpers, an aerial truck, a rescue truck and a utility truck. We respond to 1300+ calls a year.
We take pride in being a progressive department, with goals, policies, and a philosophy which is a cut above other organizations. Before acceptance into our organization, we ask that you evaluate your level of commitment to our department. We demand a high level of dedication and performance.
If you are joining for the fun of it, to be around your friends, or just need something to do, you should give more thought before filling out the application.
You are not joining a social club. Each year over 100 firefighters are killed in the line of duty and over 5000 are injured. Firefighting is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. We consider training and education to be the backbone of our agency.
(training at the Middlesex County Fire Academy shown to above).
If you are accepted, you will be on probation for a two year period. During that time, you will be expected to attend two courses at the Fire Academy; Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2. Each module will require a commitment of 2 or 3 nights per week for 12 weeks. You may also need to commit to one or two weekends. Probation can be extended if deemed necessary. You will be required to attend drills and meetings usually held on Monday nights, work details and most importantly, fire calls. You must maintain a 60% attendance record for the above activities. This percentage is to retain full membership status.
We wish for you to join our department, to become of what we feel is a very special brotherhood. If you feel you can make the commitment, welcome! We are confident that you will feel special for helping someone in need. We will prepare you to the best of our ability. We will provide for you: Training, inspiration, protective gear and insurance. You will provide personal commitment to the department and the community.
Steps to becoming a Madison Volunteer Firefighter.
Must be 18 years old and out of High School.
Must be a Madison resident or live within 2 miles of Madison's border.
Since firefighting is a physically challenging activity, the canditate must be able to perform duties like climbing ladders, crawling and lifiting all while wearing approximately 50 lbs of protective gear.
1) Fill out and print an application from the website.
2) Call Chief DeRosa 973-593-3022 to set up an appointment for the initial interview with the copy of your application. Please do not email applications!
3) Once the interview is completed by the Chief, the application goes to the Volunteer Investigating Committee for handling.
4) The applicant will then be required to get a fingerprint/background check from the Madison Police Department.
5) After the fingerprint and background check returns, the applicant will then get a psychological test.
6) The applicant will then get a doctor's phsiycal.
7) Upon passing of the above tests, the applicant will then be voted on by the volunteer division for acceptance at their monthly meeting.
8) The final step for the applicant is to be accepted by the town council at their meeting.
All of the above tests are paid for by the department.
The average time frame for completion of these tests is generally about 3 months.