HomeAgenciesDepartments »

Fire Department

(973) 593-3021
(973) 301-2352
Madison Public Safety Building
62 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)

Notable Dates 2010-Present

Notable Dates:     1881-1939        1940-1979        1980-2009        2010-Present

2010 March-10:  Madison Police Detective Mitchko is credited for reporting this fire which broke out at Chef Loryn's at 250 Main Street late Saturday afternoon.  There were no injuries as a result of the blaze.  Madison received mutual aid from Cedar Knolls, Florham Park, and Morris Township. A unit from Chatham was covering for the borough while the department was on the scene.

 


2011 July-8:  
No one was injured in this 3rd alarm blaze, but a cat needed to be rescued by firefighters.  A total of 35 firefighters fought the fire, from the Madison, Chatham, Chatham Township, Morris Township, Florham Park and Cedar Knolls Fire Departments. "Firefighters were met with a well-involved fire when they arrived," The feline was revived with an oxygen mask made for animals, which had been donated some years earlier.


2010 July-30: 
Louie E. DeRosa III is appointed chief.


2011 August-20:
  No one was injured in this 2nd alarm fire on Friday evening.  The department answered more than a dozen calls as a series of violent thunderstorms swept through the borough.  Just up the street from the Public Safety Complex, a direct lightning strike set the third floor of a residence at 47 Prospect Street ablaze.  Firefighters and police arrived to find visible flames along the roof of a third-floor dormer at the rear of the house.


2011 August-28:  
 Firefighter Barrios investigated smoke in the area when he stumbled upon a residential fire on Crestwood Drive.  The fire which was caused by a gas explosion sent two residents to St. Barnabas Medical Center with severe burns.  Chief DeRosa requested a 3rd alarm assignment since his department had been working straight through since 1 a.m. as a result of Hurricane Irene.

 



2011 November-3:  
 Mutual aid was provided to the Town of Morristown when two men working on the steeple of the Methodist Church became stranded when their lift malfunced.   The two men were stuck for about 2½ hours as firefighters tried to rescue them, but the Morris Township and Madison ladder trucks reached just 10 to 12 feet short of the pair, Fire Chief Schultz said.  A crane was brought in and Firefighters D.J. Brightly and Captain Scott Warner of the Dover Fire Department were raised in a cage and removed both workers.




2012 January-6:  
This 2nd alarm lunchtime fire was caused by a candle on the washing machine.  An aggresive interior attack by first due units contained fire damage to the basement only.  Fire personnel spent several hours overhauling the basement.



2012 October-29:  
Two occupants in a Crestwood Drive home climbed down a ladder from a second-floor window after an explosion occurred in the home Monday morning.  Madison resident Robert Potter later received the Mayor's Award for running a ladder to a neighbor's home which was used in the rescue.  The 2nd alarm fire was the first of many calls as the result of Hurricane Sandy. 

 

2012 November-17:  Two Madison firefighters (Blair & Pehowic) rescued a woman and her dog from a fire Saturday that gutted a Park Avenue apartment house and left six tenants homeless but uninjured.  The 100-year-old building was originally a corner store, but was later converted into apartments. Due in part to renovations to the building and the original construction, there were many open spaces in the walls of the building, which allowed the fire to spread quickly throughout the house.  The 3 alarm fire resulted in mutual aid from Florham Park, Chatham Borough & Township, Morristown & Township, Cedar Knolls and Morris Plains.  The resident was transported to Morristown Medical Center for smoke inhalation.





2012 November-27:
A Hunter Drive house was destroyed after fire spread through attic.  The fire occured in the late afternoon after a snow storm blanketed Northern NJ with 3 inches of wet snow.  The 2nd Alarm fire brought mutual aid from Florham Park, Chatham, Morris Township and Cedar Knolls.

 

 

  2013 March-22: A garage fire on Dellwood was            contained after an outdoor  light fixture ignited some  combustables. The fire was contained on the garage  and no fire extended into the house. 

 

 

 

2013 October-31:  A Haloween afternoon fire in a kitchen was quickly extingushed after oil from an oil lamp spilled and ignited. The Green Avenue house was saved, however extensive smoke damage required the ocupants to relocate until repairs could be made. 

 

2013 November-5: A spectacular fire occured in the  late evening hours of 39 Green Village Rd. The building  was under renovation, and no tenants were  living there at  the time. Units arrived to fire through the  roof and began  a  defensive operation immediately. About  10 mutual aid  companies assisted with the fire. The building was raized,  and a copy of the building is being built in its' place. 

 

 

 

 

25midwood2014 January-9: A mid-afternoon fire was reported at a Midwood Terrace home under renovation. Fire was already through the roof when fire personnel arrived. Fire personnel made and agressive interior attack in the attic space and was able to knock down most of the fire. Units backed out while tower operations knocked down fire that was inaccesiable from the inside. Units were then able to re-enter and knock down the remainder of the fire. 

 

 

 

dean

 

2014 April-22: While returning from refueling Squad 51, F.F. Rob Dunne and F.F. Bruce Barrios observed a smoke condition in the rear of 222 Main Street. Squad 51 investigated and found a fully involved detached garage in the rear of a Dean St. home. Squad 51 requested fire units be dispatched for the fire. The blaze was quickly extinguished from arriving units.

 

 

 

 

2014 May-31: At approxomotly 01:47 A.M. a water flow alarm was received for 306 Main Street. Arriving fire units encountered visible smoke inside the restaurant. Units on scene immediately called for a second alarm. After gaining entry, a small fire was niticed in the rear of the restaurant. The fire was held by an active sprinkle head and was was extinguished completely by fire personnel. The cause of the fire was apparently a towell warmer. 

 

 

 


Notable Dates:     1881-1939        1940-1979        1980-2009        2010-Present