Home › Agencies ›Departments »
50 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
A durable transportation, building and utility infrastructure has always been required to maintain safe, comfortable and sanitary conditions. The infrastructure responds to increased population, permanence, comfort, and environmental protection.
Madison had three rail stations when the Morris & Essex Railroad started service October 1837. The Borough of Madison officially incorporated and separated from Chatham on December 24, 1889. Paved roads were discussed as early as March 22, 1884 but the first paved road constructed recorded in Madison was Main Street in 1895. By June 1896, the Borough's Mayor and Council agreed that an additional 23 ROADS should be paved via local funding. The railroad tracks at the current station location were raised in 1916 to eliminate unsafe grade crossings. Individual water wells, ponds or cisterns served individual houses until the first community well and water distribution system was installed beginning in September 1890. Public electric distribution and lighting was also initiated in 1891. Operation of public sanitary collection and treatment facilities were initiated at completion of the Chatham-Madison Joint Meeting in 1911.
The following list represents engineer’s serving the Borough since the 20th century. If you have information regarding a previous Madison Borough engineer, please let us know:
Arthur J. Jones, PE - 1910's
George W. Gardner, PE - 1920's
Charles E. Hauser, PE - 1940’s
John Sliwa PE - 1950's
Armand Fiorletti, PE LS - 1970
William Sweeney Engineer/Administrator - 1975
Clifford Johnson PE LS - 1980
Daniel Biondo PE LS - 1989
Stanley J. Schrek PE AIA - 1995
Robert A. Vogel, PE - 2001
Utility infrastructure systems are constantly being developed and the 20th century engineering community has been a central part of these developments. The urban setting today relies heavily on redevelopment and management of infrastructure improvements using newer technologies to save time and reduce costs.