Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Building Construction Department
50 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
PERMIT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
IN ORDER TO PROCESS YOUR PERMIT EFFICIENTLY, WE ASK THAT YOU COMPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL DELAY YOUR PERMIT.
Zoning Approval is required for all new structures & additions prior to submitting permit package to the Building Dept.
The State of NJ Law permits only the owner of a single-family residence who also resides there or a NJ State Registered Architect or a Licensed Engineer to prepare plans.
- All plans for other uses must be prepared by a NJ State Registered Architect or a Licensed Engineer. A business owner cannot prepare plans.
- NJ State Licensed electrical & plumbing contractors are permitted to prepare & seal wiring & plumbing riser diagrams for 1 & 2 family dwelling units & Class III structures.
3 Sets of stapled structural plans to be submitted bearing the owners name & job address. If plans are prepared by NJ Licensed Architect 2 of the 3 sets must be signed & sealed by Architect.
- Plan must include electrical wiring & plumbing riser diagrams if applicable. A gas piping diagram is required for more than 5 feet of gas line extensions.
- Cubic Volume, Square Footage of new structure & Square Footage of largest floor area must be indicated on the manila folder & Building Subcode Form for all new dwellings & additions.
- Dry well calculations & location is required for any new building or structure that exceeds 400 square feet of ground area.
- If a NJ State Registered Architect or a Licensed Engineer is employed, 2 of the 3 sets of plans must be sealed.
- Additions greater than 5% of the dwelling & said dwelling was constructed prior to 1977, a simple floor plan showing basement to attic is to be submitted for smoke detector placement
- New structures & additons must be designed to the NJ Energy Code. Compliance reports must be submitted with the permit package. Free software is available at US Dept. of Energy's website or online at REScheck.Web
- Wall bracing detail is required.
1. Morris County Soil Conservation approval is required. Call 973 285-2953 for information. 2. Affordable Housing Development (COAH) fees are required under Ordinance 59-2007, Sect. 195-46.
3 Sets of stapled structure plans prepared by a NJ State Registered Architect or Licensed Engineer to be submitted. Plans to bear owners name & job address.
- 2 of the 3 sets must be sealed.
- Plan must include wiring, plumbing & mechanical drawings if applicable.
- Cubic volume & square footage of new building or addition must be indicated.
- Storm Water Management Requirements must be met for any structure or addition exceeding 400 square feet of roof area.
Clearly print in ink (If we can’t read it, we can’t process it).
- Complete all the information on each application including contractors’ name, address & phone number. Fill in estimated cost on each application.
- Electrical & Plumbing Contractors must sign & seal applications.
- Complete all information on manila folder & certifications on inside cover.
- Block & lots do not have to be filled in.
- Specifications for new/replacement heating units or wood/gas stoves must be submitted with applications. Chimney Liner Certifications are required for replacement heating equipment.
- The placement of exterior equipment such as an air conditioning unit requires a survey indicating location of same.
- The permit package must be submitted complete. We will not accept Piece-meal packages.
All permits are reviewed by date received order. There are no exceptions because of job size.
If you need assistance, please call the Building Dept. at (973) 593-3064.
Building Dept. Hours: 7:30 am to 1:30pm, 2:30 pm to 4:00pm Monday thru Friday.