Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Borough Clerk’s Office
50 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940 (map)
The office of municipal clerk is created by State Statute N.J.S.A.40A:9-133a, and provides that in every municipality a municipal clerk be appointed for a three-year term by the governing body of the municipality.
The duties of the municipal clerk are set out in State Statute N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133.e, and direct the clerk to:
- act as secretary of the municipal corporation and custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation. The governing body may provide by
- that any other specific officer shall have custody of any specific other class of record;
- act as secretary to the governing body, prepare the meeting agenda at the discretion of the governing body, be present at all meetings of the governing body, keep a journal of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all ordinances and resolutions, and record the minutes of every meeting;
- serve as the chief administrative officer in all elections held in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- serve as chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
- serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other municipal officer;
- serve as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title 47 of the Revised Statutes;
- perform such other duties as required by statute, regulation or by municipal ordinance or regulation.